AUM soccer edges Illinois-Springfield 3-2
CLEVELAND, Tenn. (aumathletics.com) — The Auburn Montgomery men’s soccer team defeated the University of Illinois-Springfield 3-2 Saturday afternoon, after senior Christian Young scored in the 85th minute.
• AUM improved to 1-1, while UIS fell to 0-2.
• Junior Michael Hettler assisted both sophomore Alexandro Costa and Young.
• The win marked the first for both the men’s soccer program in the NCAA Division II, but also for the entire AUM athletic department.
• Senior Alan Harwell started the scoring for both teams with a goal in the first two minutes of the match, and it was his only shot he attempted all game.
• Costa added two shots, and picked up his first career goal in the first half.
• Young finished a cross into the net for his first goal of the season, and handed AUM the victory.
• Freshman Alexis Arriaga added two shots with both being on frame. Sophomore William York added an assist, as well as Hettler picking up two on the day.
• Kanye Sayon led the way for the Prairie Stars with five shots and a goal. Zach Allevi picked up a goal on one shot as well.
• Daniel Kemp and Naba Alzhyri each added an assist for the Prairie Stars.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Harwell opened up the scoring for both teams at the 2:34 mark after an assist from York to give the Warhawks an early 1-0 lead.
• Allevi responded in the 13th minute for the Prairie Stars after a cross from Kemp to tie the game 1-1.
• 13 minutes later, Costa found the back of the net after a corner kick was swung into the box from Hettler to regain the lead for the Warhawks, 2-1.
• Neither team scored for the next 45 minutes, but Sayon leveled the score for the Prairie Stars after an assist from Alzyhri in the 71st minute.
• In the 85th minute, a set play led to a header from Christian Young after a cross from Hettler to put the Warhawks ahead, 3-2.
• The Warhawks were able to hold the lead in the closing seconds, and take the decision 3-2 over the Prairie Stars.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• UIS out-shot the Warhawks 17-8 in the contest, however AUM placed six shots on frame to the Prairie Stars five.
• Each side collected three saves, and UIS took a slight advantage over corner kicks 6-3.
• All three of freshmen Jacob Bergengren’s saves came in the second half.
QUOTING THE COACH
• “I am extremely pleased with the response from our team to come out and get the win this afternoon,” head coach Wulf Koch stated. “We grew closer as a group this week, and I am satisfied with the way the team is starting to form. Also, it was a big confidence booster to pick up our first NCAA Division II victory today.”
• The Warhawks travel to Clinton Mississippi on Friday, Sept. 9, when they take on Gulf South Conference member Mississippi College at 4 p.m.