AUM women’s soccer gets first DII win, 3-0 over Emmanuel
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (aumathletics.com) — The Auburn Montgomery women’s soccer team defeated Emmanuel College 3-0 Tuesday afternoon for the programs first NCAA Division II win at home.
• AUM improved to 2-1-1, while Emmanuel fell to 1-4.
• Freshman Ruby Mendez picked up her third and fourth goals of the season this afternoon.
• Junior Michaela Dahlin tallied her first points of the season on an assist and a goal.
• Mendez scored her third goal of the season on a penalty kick in the first half, and her fourth came in the second half on a cross from Dahlin. She finished the match with five shots, and three on goal.
• Dahlin finished the match with one goal on a shot from distance, and assisted Mendez on a cross from the left side of the box.
• Freshmen Trinity Prater, Allison Singleterry and Chelsie China each added a shot on goal, and keeper Morgan Glenn recorded her first shutout of the season.
• Brittany Fiveash led the way for the Lady Lions with her one shot on goal being the only attempt on frame for Emmanuel.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• AUM quickly jumped out to an early 1-0 lead, after a foul in the box gave the Warhawks a penalty opportunity. Mendez stepped up and sank her third goal of the season in the bottom right corner of the net to give the Warhawks a 1-0 lead.
• Neither team was able to score in the remainder of the first half, but the Warhawks added a total of seven shots, and forced four saves from the Lady Lions keeper.
• Exiting the half still leading 1-0, AUM added its second goal of the match on a cross from Dahlin that found an open Mendez to give the Warhawks a 2-0 lead in the 75th minute.
• AUM added its final goal of the match in the 89th minute as Dahlin curled a longshot just over the keeper’s head from five yards outside of the 18.
• Glenn tallied her sole save of the match in the second half, as the Warhawks held on to win 3-0 over Emmanuel.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• AUM finished the match with 14 shots, and put eight on frame. Emmanuel ended the game with four shots, and put one on frame.
• AUM led Emmanuel in corner kicks 4-3.
• Emmanuel picked up five saves in the match, while AUM added one.
QUOTING THE COACH
• “This year’s team has a lot of fight, and we are looking forward to the challenges ahead this season,” head coach Tafadzwa Ziyenge stated. “I am proud of our defenders, and the communication they have developed with one another, and thought our team played forward very well today.”
• The Warhawks will return to action on Friday, Sept. 16, when they travel to Cleveland, Miss. to play Delta State University at 4 p.m.