New Landing System Ready For Takeoff at Troy Airport


By Sarah Cantey

 The skies are clear at Troy's airport.  It's new runway is now clear for takeoff- a decade in the making. 

On days with plenty of fog and rain, pilots need a landing system to touch down safely. 
Troy is one of only 60 airports in the world with this type of antenna system. When the city of Troy expanded one of two runways, uneven terrain made their old landing system a no-go. That's the reason for this new system. 
City leaders hope the expansion will bring larger airplanes, bigger business and more jobs. 
Al Allenback, Goodwyn, Mills & Cawood, VP Airport Planning & Engineering said, "You have 6,200 feet the combination of that with an instrument landing system that allows you to penetrate weather like we are having today gives you all weather capability and will make the airport more attractive to private companies that are thinking about relocating here."
This new system has a hefty price tag at more than $1 million. But the good news, .the FAA picked up 95 percent of the bill. Troy and the state will split the remaining 5 percent.
This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Hot Video From AP

AP Video