France to Honor WWII Vets in Montgomery
The honor is to express France’s eternal gratitude to those who helped to liberate the country from oppression from 1944-45. Consul General of France in Atlanta Denis Barbet will bestow the Legion of Honor upon:
· Joseph Connaughton from Huntsville, AL (First Lieutenant, 319th Bomb Group, 438th Squadron);
· William E. Massey from Homewood, AL (First Lieutenant, 401st Bomb Group, 8th Air Force);
· Don Echols from Homewood, AL (Staff Sergeant, 458th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force);
· Ellington Franklin from Hoover, AL (Staff Sergeant, 81st troop Carrier Squadron, 436th Carrier Group, 9th Air Force);
· Joseph O. Ingram, Jr from Sheffield, AL (Technical Sergeant, 96th Bomb Group, 337th Squadron);
· David L. Smith from Madison, MS (Private First Class, 179 Infantry, 45th Division);
· Sherwin A. Callander from Madison, AL (Fireman First Class, USS Lyon).
In addition, the son of J.T. Street, Jr. from Ripley, MS (Private First Class, 3820th Quartermaster Gas Supply Company, 3rd Armored Division) will be present to accept the medal on behalf of his late father.