Tuskegee men fall, women advance in SIAC Tennis Championships
JONESBORO, Ga. (goldentigersports.com) – Top-seeded Benedict College defeated Tuskegee University 5-0 in the opening round of the SIAC Tennis Championships hosted at the Clayton County International Tennis Complex Friday afternoon.
Tuskegee (3-14) entered doubles play down 3-0, needing to win five of the six matches players were participating. The Golden Tigers dropped both doubles matches on the day sending them to the third-place match at 9 am (est) Saturday morning against Stillman College.
Meanwhile, the Tuskegee women’s tennis team battled Clark Atlanta University point-for-point Friday morning, winning a near four-hour marathon match, 5-2 at the SIAC Championships held at the Clayton County International Tennis Complex.
Tuskegee took a 2-1 advantage after doubles play, winning at number three due to default and winning at number one doubles, 8-2.
Singles play started off quickly for Tuskegee as Reicia North claimed a straight set victory over Tori Pradier 6-3, 6-1; then thins got interesting in the match as Clark Atlanta asserted themselves into the final four singles matches.
The Lady Panthers grabbed a win at number four when Avern Gumbs defeated Tuskegee’s Kayla Triche 6-4, 6-4; all while number two and three singles were in their third set.
At number two singles, Tuskegee’s Monica Thomas fell behind Clark Atlanta’s DiAndrea Galloway after a first set tiebreaker, before storming back to win the second set 6-2 before the match was halted.
The match was halted due to the final point being clinched as Navilla Paul fell behind in the 4-3 in the third set. The senior stormed back to win the final three points to win the third and final set 6-4 (6-2, 6-7, 6-4) to send Tuskegee in the title match where they will play for the 15th SIAC championship on Saturday.
Tuskegee (14-5) advances to the championship match tomorrow at 12 noon (est) against the winner of top-seeded Benedict and fourth-seeded Stillman.
(2) Tuskegee 5, (3) Clark Atlanta 2
- Reicia North (Tuskegee) def. Tori Pradier (CAU) 6-3, 6-1
- DiAndrea Galloway (CAU) led Monica Thomas (Tuskegee) 6-7, 6-2, 5-4
- Navilla Paul (Tuskegee) def. Vonnick Boyogueno (CAU) 6-2, 6-7, 6-4
- Avern Gumbs (CAU) def. Kayla Triche (Tuskegee) 6-4, 6-4
- Kimberly Bowen (Tuskegee) led Khadija Elder (CAU) 6-3, 1-0
- Taylor Wilson (Tuskegee) won by default
- North/Thomas (Tuskegee) def. Pradier/Gumbs (CAU), 8-2
- Boyogueno/Galloway def. Paul/Bowen (Tuskegee), 8-2
- Wilson/Triche (Tuskegee) won by default
(1) Benedict 5, (4) Tuskegee (0)
1. Oshane Trail (Tuskegee) def. Nathanial Pinkney (Benedict), DNP
- Brandon Sewell (Tuskegee) def. Takudswa Muswere (Benedict), DNP
3. Reggie Richardson (Tuskegee) def. Quentin Eloise (Benedict), DNP
4. Jalen Law (Tuskegee) def. Zibusiso Ndimande (Benedict), DNP
5. Justin Payton (Benedict) won by default
6. Juan Hernandez (Benedict) won by default
- Pinkney/Eloise (Benedict) def. Trail/Sewell (Tuskegee), 8-1
2. Muswere/Ndimande (Benedict) def. Richardson/Law (Tuskegee), 8-2
3. Payton/Hernandez (Benedict) won by default