AUM wallops Lourdes 10-0 in NAIA’s opening round
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (aumathletics.com) —– The No. 2 ranked and No. 1 seeded Auburn Montgomery softball team defeated No. 4 seeded Lourdes in the NAIA National Championship Opening Round game 10-0 after six innings of play Monday night.
• The Warhawks improved to 49-6 on the year.
• The Gray Wolves fell to 18-29 overall.
• Senior Kayla Hale led the Warhawks with a 1-for-1 performance at the plate with two RBIs and a walk. She leads the team in RBIs with 46.
• Senior Jennifer Jenkins added a 1-for-3 showing with two runs scored, an RBI and a walk.
• Senior Paige Nielsen added an RBI double and scored a run. Junior Sarah Angulo was the final Warhawk to record an RBI on a 1-for-2 performance with a run scored.
• Senior Taylor Powell improved to 31-3 on the year after tossing five scoreless innings for the Warhawks. She added 11 strikeouts and gave up one hit, which was recorded in the first inning.
• Megan Mosiniak led the way for Lourdes with a 1-for-2 showing in the game.
OPENING ROUND GAME HOW IT HAPPENED
• AUM got on the board first in the top of the opening inning with two runs on one hit. Persinger and Dishman both reached on a walk, which set the stage for Hale to lace a single to right-center that plated both runs for an early 2-0 lead.
• Lourdes added its only hit of the game in the bottom of the first on a triple from Mosiniak down the left field line. Powell struck out the next batter to end the inning.
• AUM was held scoreless in the second inning, which was the only time the Warhawks did not plate a run.
• AUM added two runs in the top of the third. Brinkman scored on a fielding error, and Jenkins came across on a wild pitch to give the Warhawks a 4-0 lead. AUM added two additional runs in the top of the fourth. A Schmidt single plated Nielsen, and an Angulo single plated Schmidt to increase the lead to 6-0 after four innings in the books.
• AUM added one run in the top of the fifth on a Nielsen double that plated Dishman, and the final three runs were scored in the top of the sixth. A Jenkins single plated Schmidt, and a costly dropped fly scored Jenkins and Angulo to give the Warhawks a 10-0 advantage. Rachel Ragland retired the final three Gray Wolves to hand AUM the Opening Round victory.
• The Warhawks will return to action on Tuesday, May 17, where the will face the No. 2 seed in Central Methodist University at 1 p.m. The winner of that game will move on to the Auburn-Montgomery Bracket Championship.