AUM softball notches 50th win in 3-1 victory over Central Methodist
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (aumathletics.com) —— The No. 2 ranked and No. 1 seeded Auburn Montgomery softball team defeated No. 19 ranked and No. 2 seeded Central Methodist in the NAIA National Championship Opening Round game 3-1 to become the first team in program history to acquire 50 wins.
• The Warhawks improved to 50-6 on the year.
• The Eagles fell to 42-17 overall.
• Sophomore Amy Persinger was the only player in the game to record an extra-base hit, and finished the day 1-for-3 on an RBI double, and scored a run.
• Junior Sydney Dishman also added an RBI on a 1-for-3 performance as well.
• Senior Jennifer Jenkins added a run scored with a 1-for-1 showing, while acquiring two walks. Fellow senior Katie Brinkman scored the final run for the Warhawks.
• Senior Taylor Powell improved to 32-3 on the year after hurling her 24th complete game of the year on just five hits and one run. She added 5 strikeouts and stranded 10 runners on base during the game.
• Hannah Blackmon led the way for Central Methodist with a 2-for-4 showing in the game, and added the teams only RBI.
OPENING ROUND GAME HOW IT HAPPENED
• Neither team was able to plate a run in the opening two innings, but AUM got on the board first in the bottom of the third. A Persinger double down the leftfield line plated Brinkman, and a Dishman ground ball scored Persinger to give the Warhawks an early 2-0 lead.
• After a scoreless fourth inning, AUM added one run in the bottom of the fifth. Jenkins reached on a walk, and was bunted over by Persinger. A Powell single advanced her to third, before a wild pitch scored the run to give AUM a 3-0 lead after five.
• Central Methodist loaded the bases with one out in the top of the sixth after two hits and a walk. Powell dug deep and forced a fielder’s choice at home, and recorded a strikeout to strand three runners, and maintain a 3-0 lead heading to the seventh.
• Central Methodist plated its only run of the game in the top of the seventh on a Blackmon single that scored Hime with two outs. Powell struck out the final batter with runners on first and second to give AUM the 3-1 victory, and send the Warhawks to the Championship from the NAIA Opening Round Winner’s Bracket.
• The Warhawks will return to action on Wednesday, May 18, where the will face the No. 2 seed in Central Methodist University at 1 p.m. The winner of that game will advance to compete in Sioux City, Iowa for the 2016 NAIA Softball National Championship.