Troy soccer opens season at Gardner-Webb
TROY, Ala. (troytrojans.com) – The Troy soccer team opens the 2016 regular season in Boiling Springs, N.C., against Gardner-Webb on Friday. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. (CT).
The Trojans enter the season looking to build on a 14-4-2 campaign in 2015. Key returners include Abby Reynolds and Brooke McKee, who combined to score 10 goals and record seven assists last season. The Troy defense aims to remain strong with defenders Haley Roberson and Mecca Cobbin playing in front of Preseason Sun Belt All-Conference goalkeeper Mikki Lewis. The Trojans have posted 23 shutouts over the last two seasons, most of any school in the conference.
- Gardner-Webb holds a 4-3 advantage over Troy in the all-time series between the schools. However, the Trojans have won the last three meetings including a 2-0 victory last season.
- Abby Reynolds enters the 2016 season ninth at Troy with 15 career goals. She is also tied for third with six game-winning goals.
- Mikki Lewis has recorded 20 career shutouts, two behind Ashley Branham for most in Troy history.
- Troy fell to Alabama, 2-1, on Aug. 14 in Orange Beach, Ala., in the team’s lone exhibition of the season.
- The Trojans were picked to finished second in the league for the second straight year.
- Troy is 4-1 in its last five season openers with the lone loss coming at LSU in 2014.
For more information on Troy soccer, visit TroyTrojans.com or follow the team on Twitter at @TroyTrojansWSOC.