Troy soccer kicks off season with 2-0 win
BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. (troytrojans.com) – The Troy soccer team opened its 2016 season on the right foot with a 2-0 win over Gardner-Webb at Greene-Harbison Stadium on Friday.
Despite having seven shots in the first half, Troy (1-0) was unable to crack the scoreboard until Brooke McKee tucked away a cross from Abby Reynolds in the 54th minute. Reynolds got a goal of her own 20 minutes later when she one-timed the ball into the net off a rebound.
STAT OF THE GAME
Troy ripped off 15 shots against the Bulldogs, six on frame. The Trojans also recorded seven corners in the match while allowing just two.
“I thought that we played well overall,” head coach Jason Hamilton said.
“We played a lot of people knowing that we have a tough weekend with a lot of travel. We came out strong in the first half with seven shots, but we weren’t thrilled that it was 0-0 (at halftime); we have to take advantage of those opportunities. I thought we came out in the second half, stepped up and had some good looks at goal and converted.”
MOMENT THAT MATTERED
The Trojans went into the locker room at half time having just missed on several scoring opportunities. McKee landed the game’s first goal on the first chance Troy took in the second half kick starting the attack and leading to four shots over the next 15 minutes of play.
Troy travels to Birmingham to face Samford. The Bulldogs holds an 8-1 advantage in the all-time series, though the teams have not played since 2004.
- Troy started three freshmen on Friday (Klara Andrup, Maddie Brune and Nicole Strahl). In total, 12 players made their debuts for Troy including transfers Alex Huynh and Emily Stearns, who both started the game.
• Reynolds goal was the 16th of her career moving her into a tied for sixth all-time at Troy.
- Brooke McKee assisted Abby Reynolds on a goal against Gardner-Webb last season and Reynolds returned the favor on Friday. In fact, Reynolds earned the assist on McKee’s first career goal on Aug. 25, 2015 against Alabama State.
- Troy defeated Gardner-Webb by the same score line last season.
- Troy is 5-1 in its last six season openers.