Troy Volleyball set to host Trojan Invitational
TROY, Ala. (troytrojans.com) – The Troy volleyball team is geared up for the Trojan Invitational, which begins on Friday and ends on Saturday. The Trojans will have two matches on Friday and one on Saturday.
Four teams will be traveling to Trojan Arena for the weekend tournament. Among those participating are Austin Peay, New Mexico State, Southern and Valparaiso.
The Trojans (2-2) will begin the tournament at noon on Friday against Southern and play New Mexico State at 7 p.m., later that night. Troy will conclude the Trojan Invitational on Saturday at 9 a.m., against Valparaiso.
- Austin Peay (2-2) is the lone school the Trojans don’t play in the tournament. The two schools faced each other earlier this season at the DoubleTree Hotel Buccaneer Challenge with Troy falling 3-0. The Governors went 2-1 in the tournament and is coming off a 3-0 loss to Western Kentucky.
- New Mexico State’s (1-2) lone win came against Albany, 3-0, in the UNLV Tournament. The Aggies have four players with over 30 kills and are led by Tatyana Battle with 38.
- Southern (1-3) is coming off back-to-back losses against Nichols and Southern Miss, both in three sets. The Jaguars defeated Southeastern Louisiana, 3-1, for the only win in the early season.
- Valparaiso (2-1) went 2-1 in the Black Knights Invitational hosted by Army West Point last weekend. The Crusaders defeated CSU Bakersfield 3-1 and Army West Point 3-2, but fell to Hofstra in five sets. Kayla Currier has 15 total blocks, which leads the team.
Fans wanting to find out more about the schools participating, game times, live stats or live video; be sure to check out the 2016 Trojan Invitational Tournament Central page for all the information regarding the weekend tournament.
- The Trojans are coming off a 3-0 home opening victory over Southeastern Louisiana on Tuesday night.
- In Tuesday’s match, Jordyn Saulsberry claimed a career-high 12 kills, which also led both teams in that department.
- Troy is leading its opponents in kills (161 to 146), sets (146 to 143), digs (216 to 188) and total blocks (28 to 19).
- Leah Causey leads Troy with 15 total blocks. Not too far behind are Sara Landis and Logan Page who have 12 and 10 respectively.
- Senior Symone Shaw has a team-high 34 kills and Sara Landis has chipped in 32.
- The Trojans are an overall 1-5 all-time against teams they are playing in the Trojan Invitational. The lone win came against Southern, which the series is tied 1-1. Troy is 0-1 against New Mexico State and 0-3 against Valparaiso.