Auburn at Ole Miss for midweek match
AUBURN, Ala. (auburntigers.com) – The Auburn volleyball team takes to the road for a Wednesday night match, traveling to Oxford, Miss., for an 8 p.m. CT match vs. Ole Miss. The Tigers and the Rebels will face off in The Pavilion and the match will be broadcast live on ESPNU.
– Auburn enters Wednesday’s match with a 11-10 overall record and are fifth in the SEC with a 5-3 mark.
– The Tiger defense put together a solid performances Sunday as the team beat Mississippi State, 3-2, in Auburn Arena. The Auburn blockers finished with a season-high 14 team blocks and forcing MSU into 39 hitting errors.
– Middle blockers Breanna Barksdale and Macy Reece had seven blocks apiece. That mark was a career high for Reece.
– Earl’s 5.21 digs/set average currently leads all student-athletes in the SEC and is 14th nationally. She has recorded double-digit digs in all 21 matches and has reached 20 or more digs 11 times this season.
– Filley leads the team with 11 double-doubles this season. That total is second among all SEC opponents.
– The Tigers finished the non-conference season hitting .189 as a team. Since then, Auburn has upped its season percentage to .207 with the help of a .237 clip against league foes.
– Auburn is currently on a three-match winning streak and playing a big part of the team’s success is its blocking presence. Over 12 sets played, the Tigers are averaging 2.58 blocks/set and have totaled 31 as a team – 10 vs. Alabama, 7 vs. Georgia, 14 vs. Mississippi State.
SCOUTING OLE MISS
– The Ole Miss Rebels are 12-8 overall and 1-6 in SEC play. The team is coming off a pair three-set loses on the road – at Tennessee (Oct. 14) and at Kentucky (Oct. 16).
– Sophomore right side Kathryn Cather led the team against the Wildcats with 13 kills and a .346 hitting percentage.
– Cather is among the league’s best, having a .358 clip on the season to rank sixth. Junior Taylor Alexander is ninth at .345.
– Junior Kate Gibson’s 3.71 kills/set average stands at sixth-best in the conference, while senior setter Aubrey Edie is sixth with a 10.49 assists/set average.
– Against SEC opponents, Cather is second with a .481 attack percentage and is fifth with a 4.13 kills/set average.
A WIN OVER OLE MISS WOULD…
– Be Auburn’s fourth win in a row.
– Be Auburn’s fifth win over the Rebels in the last six matches.
– Give Auburn its sixth victory in SEC play.
– Be the Tigers’ third-straight win in Oxford.
AUBURN-OLE MISS SERIES
– Wednesday’s match will be the 61st meeting between the two teams. The Rebels leads the series, 34-26, dating back to a 2-0 Auburn win in 1974.
– Auburn and Ole Miss are tied at 13 wins apiece while playing in Oxford. The Tigers last played on the road at Ole Miss in 2013, coming away with a 3-1 victory.
Auburn continues its road swing, traveling to Arkansas for a Sunday afternoon tilt. First serve is set for 1 p.m. CT, Oct. 23, in Fayetteville, Ark.