Troy volleyball wraps home dates this weekend
TROY, Ala. (troytrojans.com) – The Troy volleyball team concludes its home schedule against Appalachian State and Coastal Carolina for a pair of weekend matchups at Trojan Arena. The Trojans face Appalachian State on Friday night at 6 p.m., and will battle Coastal Carolina on Saturday at 6 p.m.
Troy (7-20, 1-9 Sun Belt) snapped a 16-match losing streak with a win over South Alabama in four sets on Tuesday night. Five freshmen contributed in the win and tallied a combined 24 kills, 42 digs and 10 total blocks in the match.
• In Tuesday’s match Belle Waldrop and Sara Landis ended up with 11 kills each, a team-high. For Waldrop, the 11 kills was a new career-high and she recorded a .300 hitting percentage, the best in her career with more than seven kills.
• Bethany Cullity has 128 digs in conference play. She has a combined 91 digs over the last five matches, which is a little over 18 a match. The freshman had a career-high 24 digs against Little Rock on October 21st.
• Saturday night against Coastal Carolina will be “Senior Night” as Symone Shaw, Sara Landis and Leah Causey will be honored prior to first serve.
SERIES INFO (APPALACHIAN STATE)
Overall Series: Appalachian State leads, 5-0
at Troy: Appalachian State leads, 2-0
at Boone: Appalachian State leads, 1-0
at Neutral: Appalachian State leads, 2-0
Nov. 20, 2015, at Statesboro, Troy lost 1-3
SERIES INFO (COASTAL CAROLINA)
Overall Series: Troy leads, 4-0
at Troy: N/A
at Conway: N/A
at Neutral: Troy leads, 4-0
Sept. 11, 2010, Troy won 3-0
• Appalachian State (3-19, 1-8 Sun Belt) at one point had a 17-match losing streak, but snapped it with a 3-0 win over ULM on October, 21st. The Mountaineers, who were second in the Sun Belt a year ago, are led by Emma Longley who has 325 kills this year and is averaging 3.82 per set.
• Sun Belt newcomer, Coastal Carolina (17-4, 8-1 Sun Belt) went to the NCAA Tournament last year after winning the Big South Conference. That success has carried to the Sun Belt and the Chanticleers lead the East Division of the Sun Belt Conference.