Auburn volleyball host weekend pair of SEC matches
AUBURN, Ala. (auburntigers.com) – The Auburn volleyball team returns to Auburn Arena for a pair of conference matches this weekend, hosting No. 18 Kentucky and Ole Miss. The Tigers take on the Wildcats at 5:30 p.m. CT Friday, Nov. 4, and follow with a 1:30 p.m. CT match vs. the Rebels Sunday, Nov. 6.
Both matches will be streamed on SEC Network+ with Brit Bowen and April Zech on the call. Friday’s match is the first part of a doubleheader in the arena with Auburn men’s basketball taking on Montevallo at 8:30 p.m. CT in an exhibition.
It’s 90s Night for Flashback Friday against the nationally-ranked Wildcats. Rally towels and Rick Nold bobble heads will be given away while supplies last. In addition, 90s music will play throughout the match and there will be a Polaroid Station for fans.
Sunday’s match vs. Ole Miss will be Auburn’s Military Appreciation match.
– Auburn enters the weekend with a 13-11 overall record and are fifth in the SEC at 7-4 against league opponents.
– The Tigers saw their five-match winning streak snapped this past Sunday as the team fell in three sets at Tennessee, Oct. 30.
– Junior libero Jesse Earl is just one dig shy of 1,000 in her two-year career at Auburn. Earl currently leads the SEC with a 5.19 digs/set average this season.
– Junior setter Alexa Filley recently moved up in the program’s career assists lists and is third with 3,320. She is also 67 digs shy of 1,000 and will be only the second setter in program history to reach that milestone.
– The No. 18 Kentucky Wildcats are in a three-way tie for first in the SEC, holding a 10-1 record in the league and a 17-5 overall mark.
– The team leads the SEC with an overall kills/set average of 14.40 and freshman Leah Edmond stands third with a 4.08 kills average.
– The Wildcat front row defense is also among the best in the nation, ranking 15th with a 2.86 blocks/set average. Junior Kaz Brown is 27th nationally with a 1.37 average, while junior Emily Franklin is fifth in the SEC at 1.23.
– Brown’s .380 hitting percentage is fourth in the league, while the team’s .263 clip is 29th in the nation.
– Sophomore setter Olivia Dailey stands second the SEC and fourth among the NCAA with an 11.74 assists/set average.
– Junior libero Ashley Dusek is second in the SEC, having a 4.60 digs/set average.
A WIN OVER KENTUCKY WOULD…
– Be Auburn’s second win over a nationally-ranked opponent this season.
– Snap a 10-match losing skid to the Wildcats.
– Give Auburn its eighth victory in SEC play.
SCOUTING OLE MISS
– The Ole Miss Rebels are 13-10 overall and 2-8 in SEC play. Sunday’s match will be the team’s lone contest this week.
– Juniors Kate Gibson and Lexi Thompson are among the league’s best hitters, averaging 3.62 and 3.39 kills/set, respectively.
– Sophomore Kathryn Cather has been a proficient attacker for the Rebels and is eighth in the SEC with a .358 hitting percentage.
– Senior setter Aubrey Edie is sixth in the conference with a 10.61 assists/set average.
A WIN OVER OLE MISS WOULD…
– Give Auburn the sweep of the Rebels this season.
– Be Auburn’s sixth win over Ole Miss in the last eight meetings.
Auburn hits the road again for a Wednesday night match at rival Alabama. The Tigers and the Tide face off at 5 p.m. CT on ESPNU in Tuscaloosa.