Update on the latest sportsAP
$790M settlement in lawsuit over Rams’ St. Louis departure
UNDATED (AP) — The NFL and Rams owner Stan Kroenke (KRAHN’-kee) will pay $790 million to settle a lawsuit filed by St. Louis interests over the team’s relocation to Los Angeles.
The settlement announced Wednesday ends a lawsuit filed in 2017. Kroenke and the NFL failed to have the lawsuit dismissed or at least moved out of St. Louis, and courts were sympathetic to the St. Louis side’s effort to disclose financial information of team owners — rulings that hastened the push for a settlement. The case had been scheduled to go to trial Jan. 10.
The lawsuit claimed the team’s 2016 move cost the St. Louis region millions of dollars in revenue.
In other NFL news:
— The Minnesota Vikings sent psychologists to the home of defensive end Everson Griffen on Wednesday to work with police on guiding him through another alarming mental health situation, as the 12th-year player refused to come out of his house because he feared intruders. Griffen, who took a leave from the team in 2018 for mental health treatment, posted on Instagram screenshots of middle-of-the-night text messages to his agent, Brian Murphy, that were pleas for help because he said people were trying to kill him. Griffen also posted a video depicting him with a gun that he said was purchased legally. Those posts have since been deleted.
— The Tennessee Titans have placed backup quarterback Logan Woodside on the reserve/COVID-19 list. He becomes their second player put on that list in three days. The Titans also put linebacker Joe Jones on the list Monday. This leaves starter Ryan Tannehill as the only quarterback on the roster as the Titans prepare to visit New England on Sunday. Woodside could test negative twice in 48 hours to be cleared before kickoff. Kevin Hogan is on Tennessee’s practice squad and would be promoted to the active roster Saturday if Woodside doesn’t clear the COVID-19 protocols.
— Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson says he’s feeling better and he fully expects to play Sunday night. Jackson missed last Sunday’s win at Chicago after an illness limited him during the week. He practiced Friday and said he was feeling better, but then he was added to the injury report Saturday and wasn’t able to play in the game. Jackson said Wednesday that he thinks he’s back to normal and he doesn’t want to have any limitations this week. Baltimore hosts division rival Cleveland this weekend.
— The Cleveland Browns could have two key offensive players back for Sunday’s AFC North showdown against Baltimore. Dynamic running back Kareem Hunt and two-time All-Pro starting right tackle Jack Conklin have been designated for return from injured reserve and could play against the division-leading Ravens. Both practiced Wednesday. Hunt has missed five games with a calf injury, depriving quarterback Baker Mayfield and the Browns’ offense of one of its top playmakers. Cleveland scored 17 points or fewer in four of the five games Hunt missed. Conklin sat out of the past three games with an elbow injury.
— Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers says his toe injury is a fracture but added that he doesn’t expect the situation to cause him to miss any games. Rodgers has been playing with the toe injury each of the past two games after missing a 13-7 loss at Kansas City because of a positive COVID-19 test. The reigning MVP said the injury occurred while working out at home during his quarantine.
— The New York Giants’ firing of offensive coordinator Jason Garrett on Tuesday tossed a surprise twist into the Philadelphia Eagles’ preparations for Sunday’s trip up the New Jersey Turnpike. Senior offensive assistant Freddie Kitchens is expected to call plays for the Giants as they welcome the Eagles, who have won 12 of the last 14 meetings between the NFC East rivals. The Eagles have won three of four to put themselves in the playoff mix.
— Seven first-time eligible former players, including wide receivers Andre Johnson, Steve Smith and Anquan Boldin, are among 26 modern day semifinalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s class of 2022. Joining them as candidates for induction next year are outstanding kick returner Devin Hester; pass-rushing standouts Robert Mathis and DeMarcus Ware; and run-stuffing defensive tackle Vince Wilfork. Each last played in the 2016 season. Other semifinalists include 17 former players who made it that far this year, plus running backs Eddie George, who retired following the 2004 season, and Ricky Watters, who retired in 2001, and made the list for a second time.
NO. 12 HOUSTON 78, OREGON 49
UNDATED (AP) — Tyler Polley scored a career-high 24 points and hit the go-ahead 3-pointer with 2:58 left in the second overtime to help No. 22 UConn beat No. 19 Auburn 115-109 in Wednesday’s first round of the Battle 4 Atlantis. Adama Sanogo finished with a career-best 30 points for the Huskies, who blew a 15-point lead in regulation and squandered a lead late in the first overtime in a wild game. But Sanogo and Polley didn’t let the Huskies stumble in the second overtime, scoring 14 points as UConn finally pushed ahead for good.
Elsewhere around college basketball:
— Fabian White Jr. scored 15 points, Marcus Sasser added 14 and Houston overpowered Oregon in the Maui Invitational third-place game 78-49. The Cougars smothered the Ducks with defensive pressure and pushed them around inside to lead by 34 early in the second half. Eric Williams Jr. had 13 points to lead the Ducks, whose only win in the Maui Invitational was against Division II Chaminade.
Minnesota RB Mohamed Ibrahim to return in 2022 after injury
UNDATED (AP) — Minnesota running back Mohamed Ibrahim will return for a sixth year in 2022. He suffered a season-ending lower leg injury in the first game this year.
Ibrahim was picked as a preseason Associated Press second team All-American for 2021. He was hurt in the third quarter against Ohio State on Sept. 2.
Ibrahim had 163 yards and two touchdowns on 30 carries in that game before the injury. Ibrahim won the 2020 Big Ten Running Back of the Year award. He’s eighth on the program’s all-time rushing list.
In other college football news:
— Liberty and football coach Hugh Freeze have agreed to a contract extension that will keep him with the Flames through 2028. A person familiar with the deal says Freeze will earn an average of more than $4 million annually over the life of the contract, making him one of the highest paid coaches at the Group of Five level. The Flames have a 25-10 record since Freeze took over three years ago. They were 10-1 last season, capping the year with a victory against No. 9 Coastal Carolina in the Cure Bowl and finished the season ranked 17th in the Top 25.
— A statue on the University of Michigan campus of legendary football coach Glenn “Bo” Schembechler (SHEM’-bek-lur) has been vandalized and a message supporting sexual assault victims of a former sports doctor scrawled on the steps beneath it. The Detroit Free Press reports that a crew is removing red paint splattered on the statue outside the Ann Arbor school’s football building. The university said Wednesday that the vandalism is being investigated. A report by a law firm hired by U-M found that officials including Schembechler failed to stop the late Dr. Robert Anderson, despite reports in the 1970s that he sexually assaulted student athletes.
Reliever Wade Davis retires after 13 major league seasons
UNDATED (AP) — Free agent pitcher Wade Davis is retiring at age 36 after 13 major league seasons.
The three-time All-Star played for the Kansas City Royals in 2021 and helped them win the 2015 World Series title.
Davis was 63-55 with a 3.94 ERA and 141 saves in 161 chances for Tampa Bay, Kansas City, the Chicago Cubs and Colorado. He made 88 starts and 469 relief appearances and was an All-Star from 2015-17. His retirement was announced by his agency, Jet Sports.
In other MLB news:
— Outfielder Nick Plummer has agreed to a one-year contract with the New York Mets. The 25-year-old spent last season in the St. Louis Cardinals’ minor league system. He hit .280 with 20 doubles, six triples, 15 homers, 54 RBIs and 13 steals for Double-A Springfield and Triple-A Memphis. He will earn the major league minimum, currently $570,500, with the Mets and $93,000 while in the minors. The Mets also said second baseman Robinson Canó (kan-OH’), who is returning from a one-season suspension following a positive test for a performance-enhancing substance, was removed from the Estrellas Orientales roster in the Dominican Winter League because of lower back discomfort. Canó is considered week to week.