Update on the latest sports

AP

MLB SCHEDULE-DODGERS-CUBS

Kershaw goes 1 inning in shortest start, Cubs top Dodgers

UNDATED (AP) — Clayton Kershaw lasted just one inning in the shortest start of his stellar career while Kyle Hendricks pitched a complete game for the Chicago Cubs in a 7-1 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the opener of a split doubleheader.

Exactly 11 years after he went just 1 1/3 innings against Milwaukee in what was his shortest start, Kershaw didn’t last long in this one. The three-time NL Cy Young Award winner gave up four runs and four hits. He faced nine batters in a 39-pitch inning. The Dodgers lost for the seventh time in nine games. Hendricks went seven innings in his sixth career complete game.

MLB-CUBS MOVES

Cubs place Arrieta on 10-day IL with abrasion on right thumb

CHICAGO (AP) — The Chicago Cubs have placed former NL Cy Young Award winner Jake Arrieta on the 10-day injured list because of an abrasion on his right thumb.

The Cubs also placed second baseman Nico Hoerner and reliever Dan Winkler on the injured list with a strained left forearm and right triceps tendinitis, respectively. And they recalled left-handed pitcher Kyle Ryan and right-handed pitcher Keegan Thompson and selected infielder Ildemaro Vargas from Triple-A Iowa. Arrieta lasted a season-low 3 1/3 innings in a loss at Cincinnati on Friday. Manager David Ross said the Cubs decided to skip Arrieta’s turn in the rotation after he threw a bullpen session on Monday. Adbert Alzolay will start in his place against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Wednesday.

In other MLB news:

—Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Christian Yelich is going back on the injured list just one day after getting activated. The Brewers said Yelich was returning to the IL due to the lower back strain that has bothered the 2018 NL MVP for the last three weeks. Yelich went 2 for 4 at Philadelphia on Monday in his first game since April 11. He batting .353 with a .463 on-base percentage, no homers and one RBI in just 10 games.

—The top-ranking House Republican on Tuesday renewed his party’s attack on Major League Baseball for pulling the All-Star Game out of the Atlanta Braves stadium after Georgia Republicans enacted a restrictive new voting law. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy came to Georgia to say the sport’s leaders were misled by criticism from Democratic President Joe Biden. Democrats say Republicans have only themselves to blame for any fallout from Georgia’s voting law, since they passed it and signed it into law.

—The Washington Nationals have reinstated outfielder Juan Soto from the 10-day injured list, but last year’s NL batting champion will be limited to pinch-hitting duty for now. Soto has missed 10 games with a strained left shoulder. Manager Dave Martinez says the injury no longer bothers Soto while hitting, but he isn’t ready yet to play the outfield.

NFL-JETS-WILLIAMS INJURED

AP source: Foot sidelines Jets’ Quinnen Williams 8-10 weeks

NEW YORK (AP) — A person with knowledge of the injury told The Associated Press that New York Jets standout defensive lineman Quinnen Williams broke a bone in a foot and is expected to have surgery and be sidelined eight to 10 weeks.

Williams was hurt last week during on-field workouts at the team’s facility in Florham Park, New Jersey. NFL Network first reported Williams’ injury. He is expected to miss organized team activities and minicamp but should be healthy in time for the start of training camp in late July.

Elsewhere in the NFL:

— The Baltimore Ravens have signed two-time Pro Bowl tackle Alejandro Villanueva to a two-year deal. The long-time starter for the division-rival Steelers, Villanueva was not re-signed by Pittsburgh. A graduate of West Point who served in Afghanistan, Villanueva spent six seasons with the Steelers, playing in 96 games with 90 starts. He has the second-longest active streak among NFL tackles with 96 consecutive games players and has started every game over the past five seasons.

— The Browns bulked up their defensive line by signing veteran tackle Damion Square. Square spent the past seven seasons with the Los Angeles Chargers. The 32-year-old hasn’t missed a game the past four years. Cleveland’s interior was getting thin following the departure of Larry Ogunjobi as a free agent and Sheldon Richardson’s release in a salary-cap move.

NBA-BUCKS-STERLING BROWN ARREST

Milwaukee council OKs settlement with former Bucks player

UNDATED (AP) — The Milwaukee Common Council has approved a $750,000 settlement in a lawsuit brought by former Bucks player Sterling Brown over his 2018 arrest in which he was taken to the ground and shocked with a Taser.

The settlement does not include an admission that Brown’s constitutional rights were violated, which Brown’s attorney had sought in talks with the city. Instead, it has an apology from the city and Milwaukee police that recognizes that the incident over a parking violation “escalated in an unnecessary manner and despite Mr. Brown’s calm behavior.” The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that the agreement also requires the city to commit to changes in the police department’s standard operating procedures.

In other NBA news:

—Bradley Beal, Russell Westbrook and the rest of the Washington Wizards have all worn black T-shirts with one word in white capital letters on each — “accountability,” “equality” or “justice” — for their annual team photo. Beal calls it a “statement piece.” He is the NBA’s second-leading scorer. His shirt in the photo says “Justice.” Westbrook’s says “Accountability.” Westbrook calls it “amazing” that the team is wearing shirts “that actually have some substantial meaning.”

— Anderson Varejão is back with the Cleveland Cavaliers. He signed a 10-day contract to begin a stint to celebrate his 12-year run with the team. The 38-year-old center hasn’t played in the NBA since 2017 with Golden State. The Brazilian agreed to come back and finish this season with the injury-thinned Cavaliers, who are staggering to the finish of another losing season. Cleveland has seven players sidelined with injuries.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL-MICHIGAN-WAGNER

Sophomore Franz Wagner leaves Michigan, enters NBA draft

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — Franz Wagner is entering the NBA draft. The Michigan sophomore made the announcement Tuesday.

Wagner averaged 12 points, six-plus rebounds and two assists over two seasons. The 6-foot-9, 220-pound Wagner was a second-team All-Big Ten player. The German native helped Michigan win a Big Ten title and reach a regional final in the NCAA Tournament.

Michigan awaits freshman center Hunter Dickinson’s decision to stay for his sophomore season or go into the NBA draft, which is July 29. The Wolverines are losing Isaiah Livers, Mike Smith, Chaundee Brown and Austin Davis from this year’s team.

NHL-CAPITALS-WILSON FINED

Capitals’ Wilson fined $5K for roughing Rangers’ Buchnevich

UNDATED (AP) — Washington’s Tom Wilson has been fined $5,000 by the NHL for roughing New York Rangers forward Pavel Buchnevich. The fine is the maximum allowable for the incident under the league’s collective bargaining agreement with players.

Wilson was given a double-minor penalty for roughing and a 10-minute misconduct after a scrum in which he appeared to punch Buchnevich who was face down on the ice and threw Artemi Panarin down to the ice. Panarin was ruled out of the remainder of the game with what the team called a lower-body injury. This is Wilson’s third fine in eight seasons.

ELECTION LAW-GEORGIA BOYCOTT

Top House Republican renews attack on MLB

MARIETTA, Ga. (AP) — The top-ranking House Republican on Tuesday renewed his party’s attack on Major League Baseball for pulling the All-Star Game out of the Atlanta Braves stadium after Georgia Republicans enacted a restrictive new voting law.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy came to Georgia to say the sport’s leaders were misled by criticism from Democratic President Joe Biden. Democrats say Republicans have only themselves to blame for any fallout from Georgia’s voting law, since they passed it and signed it into law.

McCarthy suggested Major League Baseball should make up the lost revenue to small businesses.

BELMONT STAKES-FANS

Belmont to admit 11,000

ELMONT, N.Y. (AP) — The Belmont Stakes will limit attendance to 11,000 spectators for the third leg of horse racing’s Triple Crown series.

NYRA says that required mandatory seating and social distancing will limit tickets to reserved seats and hospitality areas. All fans must submit proof of completed vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test to get in.

The Preakness Stakes on May 15 is limiting attendance to 10,000. The Kentucky Derby had attendance of 51,838 last weekend. Another of horse racing’s major events will have spectators, too. Tickets for the Breeders’ Cup at Del Mar will go on sale July 16. Organizers say fans will be welcomed back for the Nov. 5-6 event at the track north of San Diego, although they did not specify whether attendance would be limited. They said attendance would be dictated by state and local health and safety guidelines.

Last year’s event at Keeneland in Kentucky also was held without fans because of the global pandemic.

Categories: National Sports